Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Experimenting.















My next task is to make a christening robe for a new grandson who is due this week. I am going to enjoy dipping my toe into heirloom work. I have sent for some white cotton batiste and have been playing around with ideas and techniques using some cheap lace and bits of an old pillowcase.
The machine embroidery of cotton net is very effective but I think the tucks would look better without any embroidery over them. It is tricky when you know whether it is a boy or a girl as you keep thinking about whether it is too fussy/frilly for a boy/too plain for a girl.
Perhaps the answer would be to make a simple tucked gown with an embroidered net overdress for if it later gets used for a baby girl?
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anne Wigfull said...

Your idea of a net overdress is a really good one.
As a small boy my son was horrified that he had worn a "girls'" dress :}}, so his son got a very plain tucked and embroidered silk gown