Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sandown National Quilt Championships 2011


This is my entry to the theme competition at Sandown this year which is Art Deco Revival. I called it "Clarice".

I didn't get a decent picture of it hanging straight against a wall before posting so this is just a collage including pictures I took as it was being made. The applique designs are pretty closely based on Clarice Cliff plate designs. The fabrics are nearly all from the Moda Marbles range, the only patterned fabric being that small strip of black and white stripe in the central block which is echoed in the border. The smaller plain circles were fun to do using the Bernina Cutwork tool!

The quilt itself was quite a challenge as the Art Deco period isn't my favourite design period and I am much happier working in other areas of the colour spectrum. It made me realise how infrequently I use orange and yellow fabric. Why did I enter the competition if I don't like the colours or the period I hear you ask? It is the challenge I think as well as the opportunity to do something different. Each quilt I do makes me learn something new. By the time it was finished I was comfortable with the designs and I realised that I shared Clarice Cliff's delight in trees and skylines. I still prefer Art Nouveau and Arts&Crafts movement stuff but perhaps I now look at Art Deco with a slightly different eye?


------------------------,
Sandown will also see the last showing of a collection of my quilts titled "Does it need beads?"They have been touring around since autumn last year with Grosvenor Shows. I felt very honoured and to be honest quite overwhelmed to be asked if they could be shown!

We will have to get the wheelbarrow ready to go and meet the courier when they are returned as our lane (damaged in the Cockermouth floods in November 2009) is still unmended. The good news is that work should start next week and should be finished by September! :o)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: