Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Water receding Friday morning

Thursday night was a very tense night as the river rose.We reckon if it had gone up about another foot it would have got into our house. We are very thankful that that didn't happen and our hearts go out to those whose houses and businesses are awash.

All night we saw the lights and heard the noise of the Sea King helicopters evacuating people from the town centre. Many had to cope with power cuts overnight too.

The full range of emergency services worked through the night.

They did an absolutely magnificent job.

This wasn't helped on Friday by people driving into Cockermouth just to look at the devastation!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kandy Newton said...

Scary, scary, scary - and we are not even into the worst of winter. Great photos Ros although I'm quite sure you all don't need this kind of excitment in your town. My heart goes out to all those poor souls who got flooded. I think you are wise to make plans, although I suspect there is only so much you can take upstairs. I wonder if it would be worth you driving your car to somewhere safe and leaving it there for a couple of days?

Rosalind said...

It might be----------except I suspect there may be a big hole under the water in the lane and that is the only way out by car.:o(

It is a good job we can go out on foot through the park.

Some people will have been flooded for second and third time in last few years.

Shelly said...

Hello Rosalind, I can imagine how frightened you were, only 1 foot to flooding...I feel lucky for you at the end. My thoughts are with those people who need to clean up their homes after this.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

glad you are ok Ros,dreadful the devastation it has brought

Margaret said...

Ros,

I cannot believe that people travel to disasters to gawp. I have come to look at your blog, via your messages on UKando, to look at your pictures but I am not adding to the problem. I am glad your house was not affected, clearing up after a flood must be heart wrenchingly dreadful.

Do you know if there is an appeal of some sort?

Margaret