Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Embroidery


I have been collecting different coloured silk fabric for some time with the vague intention of making a machine embroidered silk quilt. Over the years since I got my Bernina software I have digitised quite a lot of designs and I am wondering if I can adapt some of these into patterns for a quilt or whether I it will be better to start from scratch with some totally new ones.

Apparently if the silk is washed gently in shampoo, or mild detergent ,before use the finished item will be washable too.

I hope that is true!!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is beautiful! Cant wait to see more! :o)

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

The main thing about washing silk is to make sure that there are no enzymes (biological action) as these actually eat into the fibres. Colour seems to be more fugitive and more likely to fade and run. It is also sensitive to light exposure.
All that said, it is beautiful.

Lynne said...

I have loved looking through your blog, your work is so varied and beautiful. Thanks for the tips you left on mine for cleaning the fabric master, will get to work on it.

margaret said...

Some dressmakers wash their silk in the machine (gentle cycle, non-bio detergent) before cutting out the garment -- but obviously the delicate, loosely woven, or embroidered silks would prefer to be hand washed.