Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Clothkits is back!

Like most people of my age I did needlework at school! We learned all sorts of basic stuff like darning and run and fell seams, french seams etc and were introduced to advanced stuff like electric sewing machines and pinking shears.
Un-sewing and then re-sewing bias binding around a cookery apron as it got grubbier and grubbier did not however instil a great desire to continue with sewing as an activity for one minute longer than necessary.

In retrospect, my needlework teacher,Miss Gibson's insistence on doing the job properly must have worked though. When my first baby was born I used to draw round him on newspaper to make patterns and then used all those techniques, learned a few years earlier, to construct some pretty whacky clothes for him.

Our family grew and then I discovered CLOTHKITS!!!!!!! There was a paper catalogue to pore over full of wonderfully coloured and patterned outfits that you could make yourself. They arrived complete with instructions, a screen printed fabric and a tight little packet containing all the necessary haberdashery plus a CLOTHKITS label to sew in. Each set of instructions had easy methods of construction and hints on how to adjust the fit of the garments. Matching, ready-made sweaters, tights, socks etc were added to the range. Shetland knitting yarns and patterns were available too !

This all gets me round to explaining how pleased I was to hear that CLOTHKITS has been reborn and the first outfits are now on their website. I do wish them much success and that they encourage a whole new generation to realise the pleasure to be had from making clothes themselves.:o)

No comments: