Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness---


One tiny tree and this is only quarter of the crop.

It has cropped as heavily as this for over twenty years. The variety is Red James Grieve and I have a Spartan planted alongside as a pollinator. The flesh on this apple is streaked pink and red a little like a blood orange. They are very juicy. :o)

Normally I would have left these a few days longer but we are supposed to be having gale force winds tomorrow and it would be a shame for them all to end up as windfalls.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

free indeed said...

What lovely fruit. What are your plans for all that bounty? Are they a good eating apple? I don't much care for tart apples; ate enough green ones as a kid I guess, belly ache and all. I'll have to see if my favorite nursery carries this variety.

Rosalind said...

Apple crumble,chutney-toffee apples----??

They are a good all round apple----a tasty eating apple with a vague peachy smell and a good cooking apple too. Just looked them up and they seem to be a good apple for Northern climes and are possibly originally from Scotland.