Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008


The weather has been glorious so I have spent 4 days clearing brambles in the garden and laying a bit of hedge . Muscles I had forgotten about are aching after all the sawing, lopping and raking.

The garden covers about an acre .There is an area near the house which I try to keep tidy (ish) and a much bigger area on which we have grown a lot of trees (mainly from seed)

The rest is a long bank which, if I manage to keep it clear, produces successive carpets of colour through the year. First the white wood anemones, then the yellow celandines,bluebells, forget-me-nots,red campion and fogloves. In the autumn all the coloured fungus appear too. The bank hasn't been cleared properly for a couple of years so it is hard work.

If the weather stays dry we will have a bonfire to get rid of the briars.

I am always careful clearing this area I know that sometimes the hedgehogs hibernate up there. Yesterday I came across this one. I carefully piled a mound of dry leaves over him so that I don't disturb him again.

You can just see his prickles in the picture.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Laal Bear said...

Doesn't the sunshine make you feel better .Hope you're going to save some for when we come up for the Craft Fair at Silloth at Easter. Ursula

Anonymous said...

OH - that explains why we had cold miserable weather over in the east yesterday.

hugs
j