Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Walnuts!

A few years ago our eldest son returned from a trip to Germany with the TA. He told me he had a present for me. It was a pocket full of walnuts. He knows I like to grow less common trees

They were duly planted them and two walnut trees grew. They were planted out into the garden in the wild area and left to get on with life. I think our son hoped to eventually get some walnut timber for a gunstock but today I saw these!

I don't know why I should be surprised that a walnut tree should have walnuts? Perhaps it is because the mulberry tree has never produced any mulberries!

Both trees seem to have quite a few nuts on them. Wonder if the red squirrels will go for them?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tricks said...

Oh Wow, Rosalind, Walnuts, will they be ready to eat for Christmas? How long did it take for them to grow?
I love trees, You must have been so chuffed, I know I would have been, I've just been blogging about my garden recently, there are a lot of gardeners amongst the art/craft community online. It's really fun to see what is happening abroad too in gardens in other countries. You'll have to tell me if they taste good. Bye for Now Tricia