Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Not quite a wasted day!

Projects are still piling up and creativity is still non existent.

This morning I was woken at 6.30am by Rosie (mini Yorkie dog) baying at the moon. I guess the moon wasn't out but you get the picture-----head back and mouth held in a perfect circle like a cartoon dog. Why she did it I do not know just out of the blue like that but of course I couldn't sleep and had to go downstairs to see what was the matter. Once up I stayed up, even though it was an hour and a half too early for me. By 8.20 we had walked to town and bought the paper and by 11.30am I had to crash on the sofa and catch up with a half hour "power nap".

The weather was a bit damp and dull and not conducive to gardening so decided to take a trip to DIY superstore for suitable stuff to make a design board. I decided that that was definitely the root cause of not being able to do anything -even though it has never stopped me before!

Once there we checked to see if there was some sort of easily prodded material in sheet form of the right sort of size. There wasn't so easily distracted we drifted over to look at various floor coverings for the conservatory (two years old and still got the floor paint on that we put down whilst we thought about floor) There was a range of flooring that called for a particular underlay. Of course when we looked at the underlay we spotted the other underlay next to it!

It was foam board in manageable sheets!!!!!

I then found myself choosing flooring that would leave enough foam board to make a design wall. This is very silly way to choose a floor that you will have to live with , so we put off the final decision-again! On the way home I remembered we had some sort of underlay from a previous floor we had laid. Sure enough hidden away under the spare bed was a roll of this stuff resembling compressed foam.

A hunt in the garage for a sheet of suitable plywood, two sheets of bathroom laminate floor underlay and the old pink flannelette sheet I had been using on the ironing board , a bit of glue and lashing together at the back and it is done! I have a design wall that it easily lifted, will hide behind the door, that is never shut ,when not in use and can be propped on the radiator horizontally when in use.

Still haven't started designing these quilts but I have all the threads and fabrics, I know the final dates for entries and I even have a design wall so I have no excuse not to get on with it now, have I?





Design wall finished. The blue mark is something that I had dyed or painted blue and was ironing dry!


The back of the board showing the lovely hand sewing !

The foam underlay.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: